#001 Firebird SQL server is not reachable
#002 Firebird SQL server is not acknowledged
#003 How to backup a Firebird SQL database "on the fly"?
#004 How Qmsoft®-databases can be "moved" from one to another server?
Additional informations could be found in the folder "C:\Program files\Qmsoft\_Manuals" of the QMSOFT®-installation.
Firebird SQL server is not reachable
The Windows firewall is locking the communication port 3050
Unlock the port 3050 in the Control Paneel / Security center / Windows-Firewall / Register "Exceptions" / Button "Port…":
name: "Interbase-Server", portnumber: 3050, select "TCP"
Firebird SQL server is not acknowledged
The Windows firewall is blocking all echo requests
Use the Control Paneel / Security center / Windows-Firewall / Register "Enhanced" / ICMP-Button "Settings …" to activate the option "allow incomming echo-requests"
How to backup Firebird SQL databases "on the fly"?
You cannot create backups by copying database files directly, because the database server could access the database files while the copy process is running. So you have two steps to get a backup:
- With the help of the utility "GBAK", which is a part of the Interbase/Firebird installation, a database backup file has to be created. This can be done also while accessing the database and without a shutdown of the database server software. Use the following command (please adapt the path to "Gbak.exe"):
C:\Program files\Firebird\Bin\Gbak.exe -B -V -IG -T "NameDatabaseFile" "NameBackupFile" -user "sysdba" -pas "masterkey"
- Now the backup file itself can be saved as every other file to the backup medium.
To restore a database file you have to use the other order of the steps:
- At first you have to restore the backup file from the backup medium
- Now you can rebuild the database from the backup file:
C:\Program files\Firebird\Bin\Gbak.exe -C -V -O -R -P 8192 "NameBackupFile" "NameDatabaseFile" -user "sysdba" -pas "masterkey"
Please start GBAK with the parameter "-H" to get a list of all of the available command line parameters.
How Qmsoft®-databases can be "moved" from one to another server?
The connection between Qmsoft32® and the SQL-database(s) is based in a item in the file "C:\ProgramData\Qmsoft\Bin\L&w.ini". In the section "Settings" there is a key "RemotDatabase", which is pointing to the Qmsoft® system database:
If the database has to be re-located to another storage location, the following steps are neccessary:
- move the "old" directory with the database files to the new server (Note: please use the same location in the folder tree!),
- change the Ini-key "RemoteDatabase" to the new server (change the server name of the key value)
That is all.
If Qmsoft32® cannot connect to a database, the configuration tool starts automatically and the "connection dialog" appears (which is changing the file "L&W.ini"). The changes has to be executed on all client installations!